Re-live the Arowhon experience at home with their best-loved recipes. Let the tastes invoked by these recipes carry you back to peaceful moments in the great outdoors.
Trout Fillet For Two, with Corn & Orzo
The secret to this recipe is to use local trout and corn available in late summer. We serve it with roasted beets. You can go gluten-free by using rice flour and omitting the orzo.
- 25 oz trout fillets, bones removed and skin on
- 1 oz fresh tarragon, chopped
- 1 Tbsp fresh garlic, minced
- 2 oz dry white wine
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup coarse cornmeal
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 oz bacon fat (traditional) or olive oil
- Combine tarragon with garlic and wine to make marinade, pour over fish and let marinate for 20 minutes.
- To make crust, combine salt, flour, cornmeal and paprika.
- Pre-heat a non-stick or cast iron frying pan over medium heat, add bacon fat or olive oil.
- Pat fish dry and coat with cornmeal mixture.
- Fry approximately 3 minutes per side until golden brown and just cooked.
- Remove and pat dry.
Corn with Orzo Ingredients
- ½ cup cooked orzo pasta (al dente)
- 1 fresh Peaches & Cream local corn cob
- ½ red pepper, seeds and stem removed
- 1 oz unsalted butter
- 1 Tbsp fresh mint, chopped
- Pinch salt
- Steam or boil the corn for 6 minutes, cool and cut kernels off the cob.
- Grill the red pepper, skin side down, until skin has blackened. Cool, peel off blackened skin, and dice ¼”.
- In a sauté or non-stick frying pan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add corn, pepper and orzo.
- Sauté until hot throughout, add fresh mint and season with salt.
- Place half the corn and orzo onto the centre of the plate.
- Cut fish into two and place on top of the corn and orzo.